*Click HERE to book appointment now
Why do I need a pre-surgical evaluation?
Most physician require a psychological evaluation before prescribing transgender hormones or conducting gender reassignment surgery. These evaluations typically serve:
- To ensure that a person is fully capable of making a major medical decision
- To ensure that a person's transgender feelings are not actually a specific symptom of a mental health disorder (such as schizophrenia or obsessive compulsive disorder)
- To help medical professionals and the patient be aware of any other mental health related issues that should be monitored during transition (such as anxiety & depression)
- To establish a relationship between the patient and a therapist just in case the patient needs any therapeutic support through the process
How long will it take?
If you are already in therapy (either with Essential Psychotherapy Services or another therapist), this evaluation will typically takes 2-3 hours to complete. However, if you are not in therapy, the evaluation will likely take longer. The assessment includes the following tools:
- Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory-II-Restructured Form (MMPI-2 RF)
- Millon Clinical Multiaxal Inventory-III (MCMI-III)
- Millon Behavioral Medicine Diagnostic (MCMD)-if applicable
- Battery for Health Improvement-II (BHI-2)-if applicable
- Drug Abuse Screening Test (DAST)
- Clinical Interview
What happens after I'm done with my assessment?
A full written clinical report will be sent to you and your referring physician within in 7 business days and consult with them as needed
*Click HERE to see our pricing for evaluations